Thursday, February 12, 2009

Bribery .....I mean motivation....


I've been trying to find ways to gently nudge Austin to stop sucking his thumb. It's getting in the way of his speech development and just isn't clean. I tried telling him that big boys don't suck their thumbs, I tried saying I would let him pick out movies to watch, but nothing was making ANY headway. Until I suggested Thomas the Train. Since Christmas he has been completely fascinated with Thomas and when I heard that the live show was coming to Salt Lake I thought I could try to bride him one more time.

To my surprise it worked. I said do you want to go to Salt Lake and watch a show about Thomas, he said "Yes!" and I told him he had to stop sucking his thumb. That's all it took, I haven't seen his thumb in his mouth since. I know it's been hard because I've caught him sitting on his hands, having his pointer finger in the corner of his mouth, and putting his blanket up to his mouth. I couldn't be prouder.

P.S. I was bribed when I was four by my parents to stop sucking my thumb with a frilly purple dress.

4 comments:

Betsy said...

I'm all for bribing myself so way to go on finding something that worked.

Our history said...

When is it? I want to come too!!! How adorable...what a good little guy you have!!
hugs and kisses-Renee

Jennifer said...

haha...LOVE IT! I hope he follows through. What a fun show! Give them hugs and kisses for me!

Lisa Wilson said...

I love it. Is speech development really effected by thumb sucking?